I thought this might be helpful for our prayer life. It’s by LeighAnn McCoy. How to pray for an hour.
1st Five minutes: Praise God for His Attributes.
- Proverbs 18:10
- Psalm 7:17, 145:17 and 63:3
2nd Five minutes: Wait in silence.
- Psalm 46:10
- Psalm 27:14
- HINT: Keep a notepad handy, if your mind wanders to your “to do” list, just jot it down then concentrate on clearing your mind.
3rd Five minutes: Confess your faults.
- Psalm 51
- Psalm 139:23-24
- Confession is agreeing with God regarding your attitudes and behavior; asking sincerely for forgiveness and recognizing that He wipes your slate clean
4th Five minutes: Pray Scripture.
- Jeremiah 23:29
- 2 Corinthians 1:20
- Choose Scripture that applies to whatever comes to mind and pray those Scriptures to God.
5th Five minutes: Watch.
- Colossians 4:2
- Hint: Ask God to heighten your awareness of evidence of His presence in your life. That summer I sat on the back porch and listened to the birds sing, the wind blow—I watched the clouds, the trees and the grass. Just be still and watch.
6th Five minutes: Intercession (praying for others).
- I Timothy 2:1-2
- I am not normally a “list” prayer but this is where a list is handy. Pray for people you love, for leaders in your church, for people in positions of influence and for missionaries
7th Five minutes: Petition (personal needs).
- John 15:7
- I Peter 3:12
8th Five minutes: Thanksgiving.
- Ephesians 5:20
- I Thessalonians 5:18
- Be specific and fresh each day (don’t just rehash the same list over and over again)
9th Five minutes: Singing.
- Psalm 100:2
- Belt it out; this is music for God’s ears only using the voice He gave you. Even if you can’t carry a tune, He will enjoy it. If you can carry a tune sing all the more!
10th Five minutes: Meditate on Scripture.
- Psalm 104:34
- If you’re reading through the Bible this is a good place to do that. If not, this is a good time to read a passage of Scripture slowly asking God to speak to you through His Word.
- Record certain verses or what you are hearing God say.
11th Five minutes: Listen for instruction.
- I Samuel 3:9
- God speaks to you in the way He knows you think. Invite Him to speak to you in this time. Record what you hear. Learn to trust your ability to hear God’s voice. As you are seeking Him know that He is also seeking you.
- Luke 19:10
12th Five minutes: Praise God for the experience of your time together.
- I John 5:14-15
- Psalm 113:3
It’s as simple as that! An entire hour spent in prayer. At first it might seem regimented and disciplined but as you grow in your experience of prayer you will forget the 5 minute limits and move from one thing to the next. You might camp out longer in thanksgiving or meditating, God will bless your efforts and reward you with spiritual wisdom and insight.
- See more at: http://sample.wildfirewebsite.com/free-resources/power-of-prayer-hour/#sthash.rxJjumGd.dpuf